How Vaccines in Africa Protect Everyone in the World (w/ Paul Duprex), and Semantic Satiation
Learn from virologist Paul Duprex how vaccines in developing countries in places like Africa and southeast Asia actually make you safer, and how modern medicine could some day completely eliminate the measles. Duprex is the director of the Center for Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh and a professor of microbiology and cellular genetics.
In this podcast, Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer also discuss the following story from Curiosity.com to help you get smarter and learn something new in just a few minutes: Repeating a Word Until It Sounds Weird Is Called Semantic Satiation — https://curiosity.im/2tIFJUS
Additional resources from Paul Duprex and the Center for Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh:
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Vaccine Research — http://cvr.pitt.edu/
- Paul Duprex on Twitter — https://twitter.com/10queues
- @PittCVR on Twitter — https://twitter.com/PittCVR
- Measles: Why it’s so deadly, and why vaccination is so vital | The Washington Post — https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/measles-why-its-so-deadly-and-why-vaccination-is-so-vital/2019/02/15/a452e5c4-2fd0-11e9-8ad3-9a5b113ecd3c_story.html
- Research from Paul Duprex — https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=duprex+wp%5Bauthor%5D
- Pitt Announces New Director of the Center for Vaccine Research — https://www.upmc.com/media/news/duprex-announcement
If you love our show and you’re interested in hearing full-length interviews, then please consider supporting us on Patreon. You’ll get exclusive episodes and access to our archives as soon as you become a Patron! https://www.patreon.com/curiositydotcom
Download the FREE 5-star Curiosity app for Android and iOS at https://curiosity.im/podcast-app. And Amazon smart speaker users: you can listen to our podcast as part of your Amazon Alexa Flash Briefing — just click “enable” here: https://curiosity.im/podcast-flash-briefing.