Why Soft Drinks Taste Different Out of Cans, Why Housecats Are Dangerous for Wildlife, and 100 Minor Planets Discovered Beyond Neptune
Learn about why housecats are deadlier for local wildlife than wild predators; why soft drinks taste better from a can than they do from a plastic bottle (especially when it comes to Cody and his Mountain Dew habits); and how astronomers just found 100 new minor planets beyond Neptune.
Housecats have up to 10x larger effect on local wildlife than wild predators by Grant Currin
- Keeping cats indoors could blunt adverse effects to wildlife. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/ncsu-kci030920.php
- Kays, R., Dunn, R. R., Parsons, A. W., Mcdonald, B., Perkins, T., Powers, S. A., Shell, L., McDonald, J. L., Cole, H., Kikillus, H., Woods, L., Tindle, H., & Roetman, P. (2020). The small home ranges and large local ecological impacts of pet cats. Animal Conservation. https://doi.org/10.1111/acv.12563
- Craft, T., Greenspan, S., and Klein, A. (2012) “Cats: Indoors or Outdoors?” University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
Why do soft drinks taste better from a can than they do from a bottle? by Grant Currin
- Palmer, B. (2009, July 23). Why does the carbonation taste different in bottles and cans of soda? Slate Magazine; Slate. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/07/why-does-the-carbonation-taste-different-in-bottles-and-cans-of-soda.html
- Cantor, D. (2009, July 31). Why Does Coke From a Glass Bottle Taste Different? Popular Science; Popular Science. https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-07/why-does-coke-glass-bottle-plastic-bottle-and-aluminum-can-taste-different/
- Snyder, C. (2018, March 30). Why soda tastes different in a can or bottle – Business Insider. Business Insider; Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/why-soda-tastes-different-can-glass-bottle-flavor-carbonation-container-2018-3
- LICCIARDELLO, F., CORIOLANI, C., & MURATORE, G. (2018). Improvement of CO2 retention of PET bottles for carbonated soft drinks. Unimore.It, Special issue, 115–117. https://doi.org/MIUR-ALTRI-IRIS
Astronomers discover 100 new minor planets beyond Neptune by Grant Currin
- Rocheleau, J. (2011, June 8). Planet Facts. http://planetfacts.org/trans-neptunian-object/
- Researchers find new minor planets beyond Neptune. (2020). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uop-rfn031120.php
- Bernardinelli, P. H., Bernstein, G. M., Sako, M., Liu, T., Saunders, W. R., Khain, T., Lin, H. W., Gerdes, D. W., Brout, D., Adams, F. C., Belyakov, M., Somasundaram, A. I., Sharma, L., Locke, J., Franson, K., Becker, J. C., Napier, K., Markwardt, L., Annis, J., … Zhang, Y. (2020). Trans-Neptunian Objects Found in the First Four Years of the Dark Energy Survey. The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 247(1), 32. https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-4365/ab6bd8
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Cody Gough and Ashley Hamer. You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY